Wednesday 22 October 2008

Kaohsiung Architecture


I can't pretend I know too much about architecture but I can tell you what I like. I have to admit there isn't too much architectural inspiration in Taiwanese cities.

When the Dutch arrived in the 16th century they dubbed the place "Ilha Formosa" or "Beautiful Island". Well we have a pretty good demonstration of what not to do with a beautiful island.


View from the top of Dream Mall looking toward the harbour.

The Taiwanese love their big buildings. They're very proud of the Taipei 101, the tallest building in the world (for a short time). Koahsiung's 85 holds similar awe.


The majority of buildings that people live in though are concrete cubes with weird wiring and poor insulation - hot in summer and cold in winter.


Overall I find them grey and depressing. One of my students, who is an architect, says these pre-fabs are cheap to build.


The seventies styles seem common.


Government buildings are not immune.


This one is amazing if only for the tree growing through it.


Even the new ones look soulless. You must have air conditioning or they're unbearable.


Even empty buildings can be used as billboards


No comments: